Ruler work basic skills and guidance
You can use free motion quilting rulers on either your domestic machine or your Q series long arm machine. They are a great way to get accurate and interesting shapes. Yes you do need to practise, just as you do free motion quilting. Yes it can be a little foreign when you start.
It does work differently from the frame to the table. One you move the fabric and ruler and the other you move the frame and foot.
Here are some tips
- straight rulers are great for ditch before your free motion
- straight rulers are great for attaching your binding
- remember the needle is a quarter inch away from the ruler
- work only in small areas at a time and reposition often
- slow and steady
- you don't have to use the whole shape of the ruler. Parts of rulers give interesting shapes.
We will be looking at the Diamonds quilt by Amanda Murphy in a sew and quilt along expanding out what Bernina Australia have done in coming weeks. You are welcome to join in and learn some more. Watch for the posts on a Saturday morning around 8am.
We are in the process of setting up a Ruler of the Month programme. Each month you get a different ruler and set of instructions to work with.
If you would like to join in please email us with
Or phone the shop and ask to be kept updated
To purchase the feet and rulers, here are some links. I have included other brands here as well